Need something else?

You can request a fire hydrant:

  • Lock
  • Lock removal
  • Spray cap for recreational use
  • Installation
  • Removal
  • Relocation

What You Need

You must provide your contact information so the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) can contact you, if necessary. DEP must have this information to take action on the Service Request.

If a fire hydrant has a history of being opened illegally, you can ask DEP to put a lock on it. Once a hydrant is locked, only officials from the Fire Department and DEP can open it.

To request that a fire hydrant be unlocked, you must first get a permit from a DEP borough office. Once you have the permit, in order for DEP to open the hydrant. you must provide 311 with:

  • Permit number
  • Your phone number
  • Hydrant location

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

To ensure the safety of customers during the COVID-19 public health emergency, our customer service offices in all five boroughs are open BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. To make an appointment, please call:

(718) 466-8481

(718) 923-2629

(212) 643-2201

(718) 595-3258

Staten Island
(718) 876-6802

You must have an appointment to enter DEP's customer service offices and you must also wear a mask or face covering, as required by a New York State Executive Order. DEP has worked to minimize risks to both customers and staff by installing protective windows at all our counters and by discontinuing walk-in service to facilitate appropriate social distancing.

Learn more about DEP's COVID-19 response.

DEP Borough Offices

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Borough Offices are open Monday - Friday, from 9 AM to 5 PM.

1250 Broadway, 16th Floor
(Between 5th Avenue and Broadway)
1932 Arthur Avenue, 6th Floor
(Between East 176th Street and East Tremont Avenue)
250 Livingston Street, 8th Floor
(Between Elm Place and Bond Street)
96-05 Horace Harding Expressway, 1st Floor
(Between Junction Boulevard and Pedestrian Overpass)
Staten Island
60 Bay Street, 6th Floor
(Between Slosson Terrace and Bend)

You can ask at your local firehouse to have a hydrant fitted with a spray cap and opened for recreational use.

What You Need

You must be over 18, show ID, and fill out a form.

Firehouse Locations

To find a firehouse location, go to the Firehouses page.

What Happens Next

The firehouse will schedule a time to turn the hydrant on and off.

DEP paints fire hydrants on a regular maintenance schedule, but does not accept painting requests.

To request the relocation, installation or removal of a fire hydrant, send a letter to:

NYC Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Water and Sewer Operations
59-17 Junction Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11373

What You Need

The letter must include:

  • Where the hydrant is currently located
  • Where you want it moved if you are requesting relocation
  • The reason for your request

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No