You can get legal assistance and lawyer referrals. Cases handled include:

  • Accidents and medical malpractice
  • Criminal defense
  • Employment discrimination and wage disputes
  • Immigration
  • Marriage and family-related cases
  • Property, landlord, and tenant disputes
  • Wills, trusts, estates, and insurance issues
  • Workers compensation and work-related injuries


Get free legal advice from LawHelp.

Request a lawyer from the New York City Bar.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York City Bar Association
  • Division: Lawyer Referral Service
  • Phone Number: (212) 626-7373
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
  • Assistance is also available in Spanish.

To learn about other kinds of help for immigrants, visit the Immigration and Citizenship page.

Community-based organizations provide seniors age 60 and older with legal assistance.

Use Site Finder to search for a Legal Service Provider.

In you are a tenant, you may also want to get help for specific situations. Visit the Eviction Prevention and HomeBase or Tenant Harassment page if needed.

Veterans can get free legal assistance and referrals by phone.

Veterans can also get help with discharge upgrades, disability claims, and benefits.

Call 311 for assistance.

A living will is a legal document created by an attorney that specifies your health care instructions. This document may also appoint a health care representative to make health care decisions on your behalf.

A health care proxy is a trusted person you select to make health care decisions for you. To learn more, visit the Health Care Proxy page.