Need something else?

You can get help if you've received an eviction notice or if you are in an immediate housing crisis.

A Notice of Eviction is a written notice from the Housing Court authorizing the Marshal or Sheriff to perform an eviction.

A "Non-Payment" Notice of Eviction is a case brought by a landlord to Housing Court to collect unpaid rent from the tenant.

A "Holdover" Notice of Eviction is a case brought by a landlord to evict a tenant for reasons other than non-payment of rent.

Get general information about eviction prevention resources.

HomeBase is a program for people who are at risk of becoming homeless. If you think that you may become homeless, a HomeBase counselor might find other options for you, instead of homeless shelter.

You must call a HomeBase office in your borough. They are open Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM.

Learn more about HomeBase.

The City's Tenant Support Unit provides free information about your rights as a tenant and can connect you to services that may assist you in your Housing Court case, including free legal representation if you qualify.

You can speak with a Tenant Support Specialist.

Call 311 for assistance.

If you have received formal Housing Court documents for Non-Payment of Rent, you may receive help to pay rent one time to prevent eviction. Assistance is also available for physically-able seniors age 60 and older.

  • Agency: Human Resources Administration
  • Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.

If you receive Cash Assistance (also called Public Assistance), you may be eligible for help paying your back rent. To be eligible for Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Services (FHEPS), you must:

  • Be receiving Cash Assistance AND
  • Have a child younger than 18 at home, or a child younger than 19 in high school and at home, AND
  • Have a court case because you are being sued for past-due rent.

You should go to your HRA Job Center and see the Homelessness Diversion Unit to discuss your situation.

To learn more about Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Services (FHEPS), go to the Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Supplement (FHEPS) page.

Seniors 60 and older who are homebound because of mental or physical disabilities can get eviction assistance if they receive a:

  • Notice of Eviction
  • "Holdover" Notice of Eviction or
  • Notice from their landlord requesting either unpaid rent or corrections to the problems related to the apartment

They can also get legal assistance if they received an eviction notice for any reason except non-payment of rent.

This assistance is for seniors age 60 and older who, because of mental or physical disabilities, are unable to manage their own resources, carry out the activities of daily living, or protect themselves from neglect or hazardous situations without assistance from others, and have no one available who is willing and able to responsibly assist.

Learn about eviction prevention for seniors who are mentally or physically impaired.

Call 311 for assistance.

If you have been served a holdover eviction notice, you may qualify for free legal representation in Housing Court or free legal counsel to help you avoid eviction.

Legal services include:

  • Representing you in Housing Court
  • Negotiating with your landlord
  • Finding out whether your rent amount is correct or whether your housing conditions require repair by the landlord
  • Preparing and filing required agency and court papers

By Email

You can send a message to the HRA Office of Civil Justice at for assistance.

In Person

In Housing Court, you can see a legal professional by going to the Human Resources Administration (HRA) Office of Civil Justice in the building, 9 AM to 4 PM, Monday to Friday, except holidays. The HRA Office of Civil Justice is located at these Housing Courts:


Bronx County
1118 Grand Concourse, Room 1A

Brooklyn and Staten Island

Kings County
141 Livingston Street, Room 201


New York County
111 Centre Street, Room 854


Queens County
89-17 Sutphin Boulevard, Room 121

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

If you are a physically-able senior age 60 and older who has received a Holdover Notice of Eviction or you received a written notice from your landlord demanding unpaid rent or corrections to problems related to the apartment, you can get a referral for legal assistance.

Use Site Finder to search for a Legal Service Provider.