Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

The service window for the New York City Office of the Comptroller, located at 1 Centre Street in Manhattan, is open for in-person claim form submissions on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10 AM to 1 PM. You can also file claims online or by mail.

Need something else?

You must file tort claims against the City with the City Comptroller. By law, claims must be filed within 90 days of the incident.

The Comptroller's Office does not accept claims against the following agencies:

  • Battery Park City Authority
  • Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MABSTOA)
  • MTA New York City Transit Authority
  • MTA Bridges and Tunnels / Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority
  • New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)
  • New York City School Construction Authority
  • NYS Education Department
  • Port Authority of NY and NJ

For claims against these agencies, you would have to file it directly with them.

You can get more detailed information as well as a copy of the claim form.


Get instructions and forms for filing a claim against the City.

By Phone

You can get more information and request a claim form to be mailed to you through the Comptroller's Office.

Call 311 for assistance.

The types of tort claims that can be filed include:

  • Personal Injury
  • Property Damage:
    • Property Damage or Loss
    • Automobile Property Damage 
    • Water Damage 
  • Law:
    • Salary
    • Law Dispute 
    • Sidewalk Assessment 

The following bridges and tunnels are part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). For claims involving the following bridges and tunnels, visit the Metropolitan Transportation Authority website.

  •   Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
  •   Cross Bay Bridge
  •   Henry Hudson Bridge
  •   Hugh L Carey Tunnel (Brooklyn Battery Tunnel)
  •   Marine Parkway – Gil Hodges
  •   Memorial Bridge
  •   Queens Midtown Tunnel
  •   Robert F Kennedy Bridge (Triborough Bridge)
  •   Throgs Neck Bridge
  •   Verrazano – Narrows Bridge

The following bridges and tunnels are part of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. For claims involving the following bridges and tunnels, visit the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey website.

  •    Bayonne Bridge
  •    George Washington Bridge
  •    Goethals Bridge
  •    Holland Tunnel
  •    Lincoln Tunnel
  •    Outerbridge Crossing

You can file a claim online, by mail, or in person. 

Only Personal Injury and Property Damage-based claims can be filed online.

The claim must be filed within 90 days of the date of the incident.

Do not:

  • File the same claim both electronically and using a paper form.
  • File the same claim more than once electronically. 

Filing Claims Online

After submitting a claim, a message confirming the submission of your claim will appear on screen.

You must print this confirmation for your records.

File a Personal Injury or Property Damage-Based Claim.

    Filing Claims By Mail or In Person

    The Notice of Claim form must be:

    • Completed in ink
    • Signed
    • Notarized

    Submit your form in person, by registered mail, or by certified mail to:

    The Comptroller of the City of New York
    Municipal Building – Room 1225
    1 Centre Street
    New York, New York 10007

    Submitting a Service Request Before Filing a Claim

    Although a service request is not required to file a claim, it is recommended that you submit a service request as a record of the incident depending on the situation.

    Some examples of recommended service requests that could be filed for record keeping purposes include but are not limited to:

    You can contact the Comptroller's Office to check the status of a claim.

    You can also ask questions about the claim process after a claim is submitted.

    Call 311 for assistance.

    You can get technical assistance with filing a claim online.

    Liquid error: Index was outside the bounds of the array.