You can report noise from a Department of Sanitation (DSNY) garbage truck, snow melter, salt spreader, plow, or other specialized vehicle.

You can also report noise from a private carter garbage truck.

Investigations are most successful when you provide the:

  • Truck number or vehicle plate number
  • Sanitation district
  • Time and place where the noise occurred

Call 311 to report the problem.

What Happens Next

The City responds to this type of report in 1 to 2 business days.

Night Collections

During the winter months, there is at least one crew in each sanitation district doing regular collections overnight so that there is always staff available if it snows or an ice condition arises at night.

You can report noise from a private garbage truck but not noise from employees.

If possible, provide:

  • A description of the truck
  • The license plate number
  • The times the noise occurs

You must provide your contact information for action to be taken on your complaint.

Picture or Video Attachments

Picture or video attachments may be used for informational purposes only. A condition must be observed in person by a DEP inspector for a summons or Commissioner's order to be issued.