Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

The Human Resources Administration (HRA) is trying to eliminate, whenever possible, the need for clients to come in person to HRA offices.

You can use the ACCESS HRA website or the ACCESS HRA Mobile App from anywhere and at any time to submit requests to HRA. You can also submit documents using the Document Upload feature on the ACCESS HRA Mobile App.

Rent Arrears Applications

The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) requires that you apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) before you apply for Emergency One-Time Assistance to help pay rent arrears (and utility arrears if combined with rent arrears).  OTDA is requiring HRA to deny your application if you did not apply for ERAP or if you have not yet received a decision from OTDA on your ERAP application. 

If your ERAP application is denied, you can re-apply for Emergency One-Time Assistance after you receive notification of the ERAP denial. If ERAP funds are awarded, you may also apply for funds that were not covered. For example, if you had 15 months of rent arrears and ERAP covered 12 months of the rent arrears, you can apply for Emergency One-Time Assistance to cover the remaining 3 months of rent arrears. 

For more information about ERAP, visit the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) page.

Submitting an Application

You can apply for Emergency One-Time Assistance using the ACCESS HRA website or the ACCESS HRA Mobile App. HRA will call you to complete your telephone eligibility interview. In-person interview appointments at Job Centers are not available at this time. 

You can apply for Emergency One-Time Assistance to help pay rent arrears even if you do not have an eviction case in Housing Court.

Get more information about COVID-19 and your HRA benefits.

Keep Your Information Up-to-Date

Use the ACCESS HRA website or the ACCESS HRA Mobile App to view your case information and update your contact information. It's very important that HRA has your current contact information.

HRA Locations  

HRA is in the process of reopening locations, but with ACCESS HRA you can skip the trip and apply for SNAP, Cash Assistance, special grants and more online. If your needs cannot be met by ACCESS HRA, visit the HRA Locations page for more information on center openings.

EBT Cards

Applicants who have been approved for benefits will receive an EBT card in the mail. If your EBT card has not yet arrived, you can go to the Brooklyn Over-The-Counter (OTC) site for your permanent card, or an open HRA location for a temporary card that will have all benefits available until your EBT card arrives. Visit the HRA Center Locations website for more information.

Permanent EBT cards can only be sent via the mail or picked up at the Brooklyn OTC site.  For more information, visit the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card page.

The "One Shot Deal" emergency assistance program helps people who can't meet an expense due to an unexpected situation or event.

Emergency assistance is provided for, but not limited to, the following situations:

  • Homelessness
  • Eviction or dispossess
  • Utility disconnection or pending shut off
  • Fire disaster
  • Domestic violence
  • Circumstances that affect the health and safety of the individual or family

You can learn more about the program.


Visit the ACCESS HRA website.

By Phone

  • Agency: Human Resources Administration
  • Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.