Need something else?

It is illegal to use another person's or establishment's trash receptacles without their permission, or to place refuse in front of a building other than where it was generated.

You can report chronic improper trash disposal. In order to do so, you need to provide:

  • The address of where the materials are coming from, and
  • The address of where the materials were placed

You can also report someone placing a mattress or box spring curbside for disposal that hasn't been fully covered in a sealed plastic bag. Only one address is necessary: the location of the mattress.

What Happens Next

The Department of Sanitation will inspect the location within 3 to 7 business days.