Landlords can get assistance in disputes with tenants in City rental assistance programs.

Landlords, owners, and brokers who would like to participate in the City’s rental assistance programs can get assistance and information.

You can find out about registering apartments, lease-signing bonuses, and the rental process, including the apartment walk-through.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

You can get help addressing issues you are having with your rental assistance tenants who are participants in the CityFHEPS, SEPS, or LINC programs, including if tenants have missed paying you their portion of the rent.

You must call a Homebase office in your borough. The offices are open Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM.

  • Manhattan
    (917) 492-1019
  • Queens
    Jamaica: (718) 674-1000
    Far Rockaway: (718) 647-1015
  • Staten Island
    120 Stuyvesant Place: (718) 282-6473
    209 Bay Street: (718) 226-0496

For the Bronx and Brooklyn, 311 will look up your local HomeBase office.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

You can inquire about missing or incorrect rental payments from the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA), as well as any other issues with HRA rental payments for the CityFHEPS, LINC, and SEPS programs.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.