Call 911
Call 911 if the wild animal is currently creating an immediate threat to public safety.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

Animal Care Centers located in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Staten Island are open. Services are provided by appointment only.

You can get more information online or by calling (212) 788-4000.

Visit the Animal Care Centers of NYC website.

Need something else?

You can make a report about a wild animal, including:

  • Wild, injured animals in a park
  • Wildlife being removed from a park

You should always use caution around any wildlife and not approach, feed, or touch them

Get information about how to live alongside urban wildlife.

Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) does not capture or trap healthy wild animals, unless the animal appears to be rabid or has bitten a person or pet.

If healthy wildlife are a nuisance, you can call 411 or search the internet to find a wildlife removal service. 

ACC does not accept reports about healthy small wildlife, including: 

  • Chipmunks
  • Opossums
  • Raccoons
  • Skunks
  • Squirrels
  • Turkeys

Seeing Wildlife During Daytime

Seeing a raccoon, opossum, skunk, or other wild animal in the daytime does not mean the animal has rabies. 

If an animal appears healthy and is seen during the day, it may be unable to return to its den or is looking for food. Healthy wildlife, especially raccoons, may look for food in the twilight hours. It is not unusual to see a raccoon at dusk or dawn. 

If left alone, healthy wildlife will eventually return to their dens once they feel safe.

Raccoons Living Near You

If a raccoon lives near your home, you can consult a licensed wildlife removal service. You should not attempt to trap a raccoon yourself.

You can discourage raccoons and other wildlife from taking up residence around your home by following these guidelines:

  • Do not feed pets outside
  • Purchase raccoon-proof garbage cans or put a weight on the lids of other garbage cans
  • Do not leave bags of garbage on the ground
  • Eliminate conditions on property that can be used as dens

You can report wild, stray or injured animals in parks to the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR). The City responds only to sick or injured wildlife or stray or injured animals in parks. 

DPR does not handle reports about healthy pigeons and squirrels.

You can report the removal of any animal from a City park, greenstreet, or mall to the Department of Parks and Recreation. Removing wildlife from parks is strictly prohibited.

During normal business hours, Animal Care Centers of NYC accepts reports of large injured wildlife (such as deer), stray or abandoned dogs, or wandering dogs that appear to be lost pets. 

You may also bring a lost dog to a Care Center drop-off location. For injured wildlife, you may also find a NYS licensed wildlife rehabilitator on NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website.

Always use caution when near stray animals or wildlife.


Visit the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance by phone.


464 East Fordham Road (between Fordham University boundary and Washington Avenue)
Hours: Wednesday - Saturday: 9 AM - 5 PM, until further notice


2336 Linden Boulevard, Brooklyn (between Essex Street and Shepherd Avenue)
Hours: 7 days a week, 10 AM - 6 PM, until further notice


326 East 110th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenues)
Hours: 7 days a week, 10 AM - 6 PM, until further notice


3139 Veterans Road West  (Route 440 South to Exit 1N - Arthur Kill Road. At stop sign, make left onto Veterans Road West)
Hours: 7 days a week, 10 AM - 6 PM, until further notice.

Animal Care Center offices and drop-off locations are closed on the following holidays:

  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • New Year's Day