Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

Limited In-Person Assistance Available by Appointment Only

For health and safety reasons, the DCA Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment.



By Phone

Call (212) 436-0441 (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM).

Other Services 

  • You can apply for or renew a permit online.
  • NYC Health Department permits and licenses, except Mobile Food Vending, must be renewed by August 14, 2021. This applies to permits and licenses that had remained valid after their expiration date and did not have to be immediately renewed due to New York City’s Emergency Executive Orders. This extension of time to renew has now ended.

Visit the Department of Health's permits and licenses page.

You must have a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit to serve food or drinks, including bottled water, from a fixed booth or stand in connection with a special event or celebration. You can use your permit to participate in special events throughout the year, however, if you want to participate in more than one event at the same time, you need an additional permit for each additional event.

Examples of events include street fairs or festivals on:

  • Public property
  • City parks
  • City streets
  • City boardwalks
  • Private property that are open to the public


The annual fee for a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit is $70.

Expiration Date

The license expires 1 year after the date it is issued.

You will have to complete an application and bring it to the Department of Consumer Affairs Licensing Center or the NYC Small Business Support Center.

  • DCA Licensing Center
    42 Broadway
    New York, NY 10004
    Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    Wed: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • ​NYC Small Business Support Center
    90-27 Sutphin Boulevard, 4th Floor
    Jamaica, NY 11435
    Mon: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

The centers are closed on major holidays. If you need to take an exam, you should arrive before 3 PM.

Call 311 to request a paper copy.

You can get the status of your application.

Call 311 for assistance.

If you’re using the NYC Health Department online license and permit system, you can get help with:

  • Renewing your permit
  • Payment problems
  • Obtaining a PIN
  • Linking or relinking a PIN
  • Resetting user names or passwords
  • Problems uploading documents
  • Error messages
  • Web page not loading
  • Button not responding


Submit a help request online.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

You can get answers to license-specific questions and information about application requirements.

Call 311 for assistance.