Nonprofit organizations and charities must have a Bingo License to host bingo games where players must pay money to participate.

There are two steps to getting a Bingo License. 

  1. Get an ID number from the New York State Gaming Commission.
  2. Contact the Department of Consumer Affairs to complete the application process.

You can learn how to get a Bingo License ID number and required applications online or by phone.


Learn about Bingo Licenses.

Download Bingo License applications.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Gaming Commission
  • Phone Number: (518) 388-3300
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

After you've been issued an ID number by the State, you must apply for a Bingo Game Operator License with the Department of Consumer Affairs.

The license fee is $18.75 per occasion. You can hold a maximum number of 216 occasions each year. You can't conduct bingo games on more than 18 days in a three-month period.


Learn how to apply for a Bingo Game Operator License.

By Phone

Call 311 to learn more.


On the DCA website you can:

  • Live chat with a DCA representative
  • Learn about laws you need to know and obey
  • Learn about other licenses you might need
  • Download valuable publications, tips, and FAQs
  • Request an inspection
  • Read checklists to learn what DCA inspectors look for in your industry and avoid violations
  • Learn how to handle consumer complaints
  • Pay fines by credit card
  • Resolve a DCA violation
  • Update important business information, including your contact information, your name or business name, or corporate officer information
  • Request the replacement of a lost, stolen, or damaged DCA license document
  • Download DCA's model contracts and model receipts, required signs, and other templates

Go to the DCA Business Toolbox.

With a DCA online account, you can:

  • Access your DCA records
  • Renew a license
  • Change address
  • Change name
  • Change officer information
  • Request license replacement
  • Follow the status of applications
  • Submit additional documents as part of your license application (if you submitted your application at the DCA Licensing Center)

Log in or register for a DCA account.

In Person

  • DCA Licensing Center
    42 Broadway
    New York, NY 10004
    Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    Wed: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • NYC Small Business Support Center
    90-27 Sutphin Boulevard, 4th Floor
    Jamaica, NY 11435
    Mon: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

The centers are closed on major holidays. If you need to take an exam, you should arrive before 3 PM.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

If you’re using the online services portal to submit applications and other requests to the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), you can get help with technical problems, including:

  • Log-in problems
  • Resetting user names or passwords
  • Problems uploading documents
  • Error messages
  • Web page not loading
  • Button not responding

Call 311 for assistance.

You can get answers to license-specific questions and information about application requirements.

Call 311 for assistance.