Call 911
Call 911 to report graffiti or vandalism in progress.

Need something else?

You can report graffiti. How the report is handled depends on the location of the graffiti.

If you are a building owner, learn how to request graffiti removal for a building you own on the Graffiti and Building Owners page.

You can report graffiti done within the past seven days or repeatedly at the same location. Officers from your local police precinct will respond when they are not handling emergency situations.  

You can also request that the responding officers issue a police report for insurance or other purposes. If you request a police report, you cannot remain anonymous and you must be available to meet the responding police officers.

This service does not result in removal of the graffiti.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

Check the COVID-19 Guidance & Resources for NYCHA Community for the latest on NYCHA's response to help keep residents safe, alleviate hardships, and stop the spread of COVID-19.

Learn about COVID-19 Guidance & Resources for NYCHA Community.

You can report graffiti on New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) public housing property to the NYCHA Customer Contact Center.

Before filing a complaint, you should try resolve the issue with the NYCHA Maintenance Office.

  • Agency: New York City Housing Authority
  • Division: Maintenance Hotline
  • Phone Number: (718) 707-7771
  • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
  • Staff is available at all times to handle emergencies and schedule routine maintenance repairs for Mon - Fri: 6:00 AM - midnight. Automated assistance is also available in Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish.

You can report graffiti on United States Post Office blue collection mailboxes and green drop boxes. The United State Postal Service (USPS) takes these reports as maintenance complaints for the local post office.


Contact the United States Postal Service (USPS).

By Phone

  • Agency: United States Postal Service
  • Division: United States Postal Service Hotline
  • Phone Number: (800) 275-8777
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 8:30 PM; Saturday: 8 AM - 6 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Spanish. Additional languages are available through a staff person.

You can report graffiti on a highway. 

To report graffiti on a highway sign, go to the Highway Sign Complaint page.

You can report graffiti in a City park.

To report graffiti carved into a City tree, go to the Tree Destruction page.

The New York Police Department accepts tips about graffiti and vandalism. You may get a cash reward of up to $500. You can remain anonymous.

Call 311 for assistance.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No