Only licensed plumbers can request permits for water and sewer work. Plumbers must visit a permitting application office to apply.

Plumbers must have a permit to:

  • Install or remove taps or wet connections to the New York City water or sewer systems
  • Connect a building to the sewer system or plug a connection

Property owners and their licensed plumbers can get a small map showing the water and sewer lines that front the property. These maps are available at permitting application offices.

DEP Borough Offices

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Borough Offices are open Monday - Friday, from 9 AM to 5 PM.

1250 Broadway, 16th Floor
(Between 5th Avenue and Broadway)
1932 Arthur Avenue, 6th Floor
(Between East 176th Street and East Tremont Avenue)
250 Livingston Street, 8th Floor
(Between Elm Place and Bond Street)
96-05 Horace Harding Expressway, 1st Floor
(Between Junction Boulevard and Pedestrian Overpass)
Staten Island
60 Bay Street, 6th Floor
(Between Slosson Terrace and Bend)