You can file a complaint about individuals who repair, install, service, or inspect locks and similar devices.

To file a complaint, you must live in New York City. The business can be located outside of the City.

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) does not accept stickering complaints.

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.