The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) accepts complaints about New York City hotel contracts and service disruptions.

You can file a complaint about billing disputes with any hotel, motel, or bed and breakfast in New York City.

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

Within 24 hours of a known service disruption, hotels must notify current guests and prospective guests who make reservations themselves or through a third-party vendor.

The notification must include:

  • Nature of the disruption
  • Duration of the disruption

Hotel service disruptions include:

  • Construction
  • Unavailable elevators, wheelchair lifts, ramps, or bathrooms accessible to people with disabilities
  • Strikes, protests, or picketing
  • Bed bugs, lice or other insects
  • Rodents or other vermin
  • Out-of-order advertised hotel amenities (pool, spa, shuttle service, internet access, or food or beverage service)
  • Out-of-order advertised room appliances or technology (in-room refrigerators, internet, or Wi-Fi services)
  • No water, gas, or electricity

Hotels may not:

  • Charge a fee if guests cancel a reservation due to a service disruption
  • Keep any deposit for an unused portion of the canceled reservation

You can report an undisclosed hotel service disruption by emailing your complaint to Please be as specific as possible about the problem.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

The New York City Department of Consumer and Worker Protection can help you with complaints about businesses in New York City. For complaints about businesses elsewhere, contact the local Consumer Affairs office or the State Attorney General's office.


Learn how to file a complaint for a business outside of NYC.

By Phone

  • Agency: Nassau County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (516) 571-2449
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Suffolk County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (631) 231-2400
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection
  • Phone Number: (914) 995-2155
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (973) 504-6200
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

In his 2019 State of the City Address, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the administration is expanding the mission and the name of the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) to the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP).

You can check DCA's website for updates.

Visit the Department of Consumer Affairs' website.

Workers' Rights Campaign

The Workers' Rights Campaign introduces the newly renamed DCWP as a City agency that fights for every worker in NYC regardless of job or immigration status.

DCWP enforces different municipal labor laws, including: 

  • Fair Workweek
  • Freelance
  • Paid Care
  • Paid Safe and Sick Leave