You can file a complaint about contract and quality-of-work disputes with a home improvement contractor. You must live in the City, but the business may be located outside of New York City. 

City law regulates: 

  • Anyone who performs construction, repair, remodeling, or other home improvement work costing more than $200 in the City. 
  • Home improvement work performed on private residences and residential buildings with four or fewer units, as well as condominium units, co-op units, and rented apartments in buildings of any size. 

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) does not accept complaints from businesses against contractors. Business-to-business complaints should be filed with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

A sample Home Improvement Contract is included in application packets for Home Improvement Contractor and Home Improvement Salesperson licenses. You can request either license application packet or download the sample at DCA's website.

Visit DCA's website.

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.