Need something else?

You can request assistance if you need help accessing City programs and services because of a disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities or contact a Disability Service Facilitator.

You can also report a private building, business, or public space with inadequate access for people with disabilities.

Disability Service Facilitators

The Disability Service Facilitator (DSF) of a City agency is the designated point of contact for disability specific issues and questions. Their role is to make sure City agencies are in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and to assist if there is an accessibility issue with a City service or program.

To request a disability-related accommodation to obtain a license or participate in any other service, program, or activity at the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), you must submit the Accommodation Request Form for People with Disabilities with documentation, such as medical records, before the scheduled event.

Learn more about DCA's Reasonable Accommodations and download a request form.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

Requests for accommodations are not being accepted by mail.

Please email your request and any questions or concerns to

Submitting the Accommodation Request Form

The completed form, along with documentation such as medical records, can be submitted by email or mail.

By Email

By Mail

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs 
Attention: ADA Coordinator 
42 Broadway, 8th Floor 
New York, NY 10004

If you need help accessing Department of Finance (DOF) programs and services because of a disability or medical condition, you can request a reasonable accommodation. 

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a disability as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. 

This includes physical disorders affecting the: 

  • Brain
  • Muscles
  • Eyes
  • Ears
  • Nose
  • Mouth
  • Respiratory system
  • Cardiovascular system
  • Skin

An example of a mental impairment is decreased mental function due to a disease or long-term condition.

If a qualifying medical event, such as hospitalization, occurred for a substantial time during the filing period, you may also be eligible to apply for a deadline extension to apply for or renew a benefit or participate in one of DOF’s programs.

Get more information about requesting an accommodation or making a complaint.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

Sign Language Interpretation

You can request a sign language interpreter for transactions at the Department of Finance, including parking ticket hearings and appeals.


You can request a sign language interpreter online for Parking Ticket or Property Tax Services. To schedule an appointment and request a sign language interpreter online, go to the DOF Business Center page.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

Conditions Not Covered by the ADA

The following are not considered a physical or mental condition under the Americans with Disabilities Act:

  • Common cold or flu
  • Broken bone that is expected to heal completely
  • Old age

Filing an Accommodation Complaint

If you feel that a DOF program or service is not accessible to you, you can file a complaint by mail with the agency's Disability Service Facilitator. You or your representative should make a complaint as soon as possible, but no later than 60 days after the incident. 

Your complaint should include:

  • A description of the problem or incident
  • The location and date of the incident 
  • Your contact information, if you want the Facilitator to follow-up with you

Mail the complaint to:

Attn: Disability Service Facilitator 
375 Pearl Street, 26th Floor
New York, NY 10038

What Happens Next

Within 15 calendar days of receiving the request, the Facilitator will contact you to discuss it and any possible resolutions.

Within 15 calendar days of this contact, the Facilitator will respond to the applicant in writing or, where appropriate, in an accessible format, such as large print, Braille, or audio recording. This response will explain DOF’s position and offer options for resolving the issue, where applicable.

If you have a disability and need assistance accessing Human Resources Administration (HRA) programs, services, and benefits, you may request a reasonable accommodation.

Some examples of reasonable accommodations are:

  • Flexible scheduling to avoid rush hour travel
  • Priority appointments to minimize wait time at HRA offices
  • Sign language interpreters
  • Home visits
  • Assistance reading and completing forms and notices

Forms for a reasonable accommodation request are available at any HRA Job Center or SNAP (Food Stamp) Center. You can also download a form online.

Learn more about reasonable accommodations provided by HRA.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

Submit a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form

You can submit your completed Reasonable Accommodation Request form by mail, by fax, or in person.

In Person or By Mail:

Human Resources Administration
Office of Constituent Services
150 Greenwich Street, 35th Floor
New York, NY 10007


(212) 331-4685 

In person

Visit any Job Center or SNAP Center.

To find your local Job Center, go to the Public Assistance or Welfare page. To find your local SNAP Center, go to the SNAP (Food Stamps) page.

You can request help if you are a person with a disability trying to access a City service through 311 and needs additional assistance.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

If you are a person with a disability and need additional help accessing a City service or program, the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) can provide you with contact information of a Disability Service Facilitator (DSF) for a City agency.

The New York City Commission's Human Rights Law requires that reasonable accommodations be made to all residential buildings, businesses, and public spaces to make them accessible to people with disabilities. 

Public spaces include, but are not limited to:

  • Parks
  • Libraries
  • Parking facilities
  • Public bathrooms
  • Government buildings

These reasonable accommodations cannot pose an undue hardship to the building owner. Reasonable accommodations often involve architectural modifications, including ramps, electronic doors, or handrails. The Human Rights Law does not consider the age of the building in requiring modifications.

Get more information on the Human Rights Law.

You can report a building or public space that does not meet local requirements for accessibility for people with disabilities.

Call 311 to report the problem.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No