Need something else?

Property Value Appeal for challenging exemption information on your NOPV

If the Department of Finance made a decision about your property tax exemption or exemption application and you disagree, you can appeal with the NYC Tax Commission.

You can appeal if:

  • Your exemption application was denied
  • You were granted an exemption, but the amount is less than you believe it should be
  • The amount of your exemption benefit is being reduced
  • Your exemption is being revoked

To appeal, you must file an application and the required documents with the Tax Commission.

The appeal deadline should be included on the notice that you received with DOF’s decision. If there’s no deadline specified on your notice, you must file within 20 calendar days of the date on the notice.

Applications must be received--not postmarked--by the Tax Commission by the deadline. The deadline can't be extended.

To appeal a Department of Finance (DOF) decision, you must file a completed, notarized appeal form and the required proof to the NYC Tax Commission in person or by mail. In-person hearings are not available. You don't need a lawyer to file an appeal.

Your appeal may be denied if your application isn’t completed properly, so be sure to use the correct form, read the questions, and answer all questions completely and accurately.

Mail your application or deliver in person to the Tax Commission Office. It's open Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM.

NYC Tax Commission
1 Centre Street, Room 2400
New York, NY 10007


After the Tax Commission receives your application, they will review it and hold a hearing in the order in which it was received. You can’t have a personal exemption appeal hearing in person.

Hearing decisions are based on the application, required documents, and other proof you submit.  After the Tax Commission makes a decision, they will mail you a notice with their determination.

All appeal forms and instructions are available on the Tax Commission's website or at their main office.

Make sure to use the correct appeal form for the correct tax year. If you use a form for the incorrect tax year, your appeal will be denied.

The form you use depends on the exemption you’re appealing.

  • SCHE and DHE appeals: TC106A
  • STAR and Enhanced STAR appeals: TC106S
  • Clergy and Veterans Exemption appeals: TC106CV

If you are appealing a STAR, E-STAR, SCHE, or DHE Exemption and the property has more than one owner, each additional owner must complete form TC106S SUP (Supplemental) and file it with the correct appeal form.

If you’re delivering your appeal form in person, you should also complete and bring form TC10. The Tax Commission office will stamp it, and you can keep it as your receipt to prove you filed your application on time.

Get Tax Commission forms and instructions.

You will be notified when the Tax Commission has reviewed your appeal.

You can get the status of your appeal by emailing the Tax Commission or writing them a letter.

By Mail

NYC Tax Commission
1 Centre Street, Room 2400
New York, NY 10007


Successful Appeals

If your appeal is successful, the Tax Commission will inform the Department of Finance and the exemption will be reflected on a future property tax bill retroactive to the start of the tax year on July 1.

When the Tax Commission grants an appeal of an exemption denial or revocation, the exemption is granted to the taxpayer for one year. The taxpayer must then reapply for the exemption with the Department of Finance the following year.

Unsuccessful Appeals

If lost your exemption or your appeal was denied for the current tax year because you don’t meet the eligibility qualifications, you can reapply for the exemption as a new applicant by submitting an initial application to the Department of Finance. If you missed the deadline, you may reapply for the exemption for the next tax year.


Exemption Questions

You can contact the Department of Finance for an explanation if you have questions about:

  • Why your exemption was denied
  • Why your exemption was removed
  • Why your exemption benefit was reduced
  • Why the amount of taxes you owe has gone up

However, to restore your benefit, you must appeal with the Tax Commission. Contacting DOF for an explanation doesn’t extend the deadline to file an appeal.

If you need help with SCHE or DHE issues, you can also go to an Assistance Center.


Contact DOF.

By Mail

Write to:

NYC Department of Finance
Correspondence Unit
1 Centre Street, Room 2200
New York, NY 10007

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

In Person

You can get one-on-one help with SCHE and DHE questions or issues at an Assistance Center. You can also get help with the status of applications and exemptions on your property.

Make sure to bring all necessary documents with you. You don't need an appointment.

Manhattan Assistance Center
66 John Street, 3rd Floor (between Dutch and William Streets)
New York, NY 10038
Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Staten Island Assistance Center
350 St. Marks Place, 4th Floor (between Hyatt Street and Victory Boulevard)
Staten Island, NY 10301
Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM


Appeal Questions and Application Assistance

You can contact the Tax Commission if you have questions about the appeal process or need help filling out an appeal form.


By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

By Mail

NYC Tax Commission
1 Centre Street, Room 2400
New York, NY 10007

Need more help?

If you have already contacted the Department of Finance about an issue and were unable to resolve it, visit the Taxpayer Advocate page to learn how to get help.