As of May 19, New York State has implemented the CDC's Interim Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People. Fully vaccinated individuals do not need to wear masks or be socially distanced, however unvaccinated children and adults should wear a face covering and practice social distancing. Face coverings are required to enter any municipal building, regardless of vaccination status.
Service Changes and Cancellations
Some events being held in parks by outside groups may have additional safety measures. Before attending, please check with the organizing group to confirm.
Recreation Center Re-Openings
As of July 31, 2021, the following NYC Parks recreation centers have re-opened to active members on a limited basis:
- Hunts Point Recreation Center
- St. Mary's Recreation Center
- Brownsville Recreation Center
- St. John's Recreation Center
- McCarren Play Center
- Metropolitan Recreation Center
- Alfred E. Smith Recreation Center
- Asser Levy Recreation Center
- Gertrude Ederle Recreation Center
- Hansborough Recreation Center
- Highbridge Recreation Center
- Recreation Center 54
- Thomas Jefferson Recreation Center
- Al Oerter Recreation Center
- Lost Battalion Hall Recreation Center
- Faber Recreation Center
- Greenbelt Recreation Center
- Lyons Recreation Center
- Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex
At this time, advance reservations are required to use these facilities. Face coverings are required to enter a recreation center, regardless of vaccination status. Recreation center equipment has been arranged to promote social distancing and shared equipment will be cleaned frequently. Indoor pools remain closed to the public at this time.
- The City's historic houses are working to safely reintroduce visitors to their museums.
- The Swedish Cottage is closed.
- The Arsenal Gallery is closed until further notice.
- At this time, certain concessions remain closed, including indoor tennis facilities, and others.
- Stables remain operational for boarding and are now open to outdoor riding.
Programming Service Changes
- Tennis permits are required for the 2021 season. If you have purchased a 2020 tennis permit, it will be valid through 2021.
- At the discretion of each garden group, GreenThumb community gardens operating on NYC Parks property may open to licensed garden members as well as to members of the general public. Gardens are not required to host public open hours.
- The Urban Park Rangers are offering free programs with limited attendance.
- Shape Up NYC is offering free outdoor programs with limited attendance.
- Media Education instructors are offering free outdoor workshops with limited attendance.
- The Arts, Culture & Fun series are hosting outdoor workshops with limited attendance.
- Many aquatics programs, including indoor Learn to Swim and Lap Swim, are not currently being held at our outdoor pools, as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has affected our ability to hire and train lifeguards.