If you are an active member of the military (or a representative of one), you can request financial relief from debts owed to the Department of Finance. 

You can apply for relief from:

  • The annual property tax lien sale
  • Excise and income tax warrants
  • Environmental Control Board (ECB) judgments
  • Parking ticket and camera violation judgments

Debt relief is provided under the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act.

To be eligible, you must be one of the following:

  • An active member of the military
  • A reservist ordered to report for induction or for military service
  • A service member's spouse or registered domestic partner
  • A service member's dependent, such as an unmarried child under the age of 18, an unmarried child and full-time student between ages 18 to 23, or others for whom the service member provided at least 50% of their support for 180 days before the date of the application.

To request debt relief, you must complete the Military Personnel Application and submit it and any required documents to the Department of Finance.

Download the Military Personnel Application.

Call 311 to request a paper copy.


Contact DOF.

In Person

Visit a DOF Business Center.