Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert
Limited In-Person Assistance Available by Appointment Only
For health and safety reasons, the DCA Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment.
Call (212) 436-0441 (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM).
Online Services Available
- Use online services to get an application or to apply for or renew a license
- Contact a representative by email or phone
See sections below.
Important Update about License Renewal
New York City’s Emergency Executive Orders (EEO) that extended license expiration dates and renewal application deadlines because of the COVID-19 pandemic ended. If your license was set to expire from March 12, 2020 through August 14, 2021 and you did not renew due to the Mayoral EEO, your extended license will expire on August 14, 2021.
Learn more about renewals.
You can update your business information online or download a form to fill out and mail to the Department of Finance from their website.
New York State registration requirements include:
- Partnerships must register with the County Clerk's Office where the business is located.
- A sole proprietorship (under a name other than your own, such as a trade name or an assumed name or "doing business as") must register with the County Clerk's Office where the business is located.
- Corporations must register with the Secretary of State, Department of State, in Albany.
Federal Employer ID Number (EIN)
By federal law, corporations, partnerships, and certain sole proprietorships must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to use as a taxpayer identification number. No additional identifying number is required to do business in New York City; the EIN assigned by the IRS is accepted.
To apply for an EIN, use Federal Form SS-4, which is available online.
Visit the Department of Finance website.
Visit the Department of State's website.