The Family Homelessness and Eviction Prevention Supplement (FHEPS) program provides rental assistance for permanent housing for families with children that receive Cash Assistance AND:

  • live in shelters 
  • are being evicted OR
  • have been evicted  

If you live in the community, you can find out if you are eligible by visiting a Human Resources Administration (HRA) Job Center. 

Find an HRA Job Center.

If you live in a shelter, you can get help applying for FHEPS from your case manager or housing specialist.

FHEPS was formerly known as FEPS, or the Family Eviction Prevention Supplement.

Learn more about the FHEPS program.

FHEPS eligibility for families includes these requirements, among others.

Families that qualify for FHEPS must include:

  • A child under 18 years of age,
  • A child 18 years of age who is enrolled full time in high school, or a vocational or technical training program, OR
  • A pregnant woman

Families qualifying for FHEPS must also:

  • Live in or be eligible to live in an HRA shelter
  • Live in a DHS shelter after being evicted from their home sometime in the year before they entered shelter
  • Have lost their housing because of a domestic violence situation
  • Have lost their housing because of health or safety issues, OR
  • Be facing eviction or have been evicted in NYC within the past 12 months.

Families must have an active Cash Assistance case or qualify for Cash Assistance once they leave a homeless shelter.

CityFHEPS is a program that can help you find and pay for permanent housing if you are eligible.

Eligible candidates include:

  • Low-income families who live in shelters
  • Individual adults who live in shelters  
  • Low-income families and adults who are at risk of becoming homeless

If you live in a shelter, you can get help finding out if you are eligible for a CityFHEPS subsidy from your case manager or housing specialist. 

If you live in the community, you can go to a Homebase location to be screened for CityFHEPS subsidy eligibility.

Learn more about CityFHEPS.

HDU at the job center can submit requests to modify an existing FHEPS grant or restore a closed FHEPS grant. 

You can request a modification to your FHEPS grant if your income, rent expense, or household composition changes.

You can request a restoration of your FHEPS grant if it ended within the last 12 months and your family is still eligible for FHEPS.