A candidate's supervisor must make the request to schedule an on-site Fire Safety Director test. Candidates cannot schedule their own test. The supervisor can make the request by email.
Before requesting an on-site exam, the supervisor must:
- Ensure the candidate is qualified by the Certification Unit
- Ensure the building has a Fire Safety and Evacuation Plan on file with FDNY
To qualify for the Fire Safety Director on-site test, the candidate must:
- Pass the Fire Safety Director computer exam
- Pass a 20-hour certified Fire Safety Director course
- Receive a Certificate of Completion
Once all information is verified and qualified by the Certificate of Fitness Unit, the candidate has 1 year to take the on-site exam.
Please note “FSD On-Site request/Candidate’s last name, first name/Premises address” in the subject line.
The email should include:
- Premises information, such as the type (ie, hotel, office), the address (including borough and ZIP), Building ID Number, and any Also Known As addresses.
- Candidate's Information, including social security number and Certificate of Fitness number for the premises.
- Additional requirements, including if the exam must take place outside of the regular start time, Monday-Thursday, from 10 AM to noon.
- Supervisor's name, title, business address, contact phone number, and email address.
To make a request, send an email to High-Rise@fdny.nyc.gov.