You can find out if you are eligible for public assistance. You can apply for cash benefits and participate in programs that prepare you for self-sufficiency.
Eligible families may receive up to 60 months of federally funded cash assistance under the Temporary Aid to Needy Families Program (TANF). Temporary benefits include:
- A cash grant that includes a shelter portion
- Energy assistance grants
- Additional money to assist with other expenses
Families who have already received cash assistance for 60 months may continue to receive benefits under the New York State Safety Net Program.
Single individuals without children may receive benefits under the New York State Safety Net Program.
Applicants and participants can find out their case status. You can also get the location of the nearest Job Center. (Job Centers used to be called Welfare Offices.)
Financial Assistance for Caregivers
Caregivers who are not foster parents but are financially responsible for children in their care may be eligible for Cash Assistance.
Storage and Moving Assistance
HRA provides assistance to applicants and recipients of cash assistance for moving expenses such as rent in advance, security vouchers and broker’s fees.
All requests for moving (rent in advance, security deposit and broker’s fees) and storage expenses must be made at the job center.
Learn more about public assistance.
Find a Job Center.
Use ACCESS NYC to pre-screen for Cash Assistance and other programs and learn how to apply.
- Agency: Human Resources Administration
- Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.