Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

Services at IDNYC Enrollment Centers are being offered by appointment only until further notice.

IDNYC has temporarily disabled starting new and replacement applications online due to reduced capacities at Enrollment Centers.  If you need to apply for a new IDNYC card or a replacement card, you must make an appointment. If you need to renew your card, submit a renewal application online.

If you are not able to make an appointment at this time, please check back later for future availability.

All staff and applicants are required to wear face coverings at all times while inside Enrollment Centers. Applicants at the Centers must follow social distancing guidelines and maintain 6 feet of distance between themselves and others.

Need something else?

You need an appointment to apply for a replacement card if:

  • Your IDNYC card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
  • You need to change the information on your card for any reason.

Learn more about IDNYC.

There is a $10 fee to replace your lost, stolen, or damaged card.

If you cannot afford the fee, you can fill out a hardship fee waiver. The hardship waiver can only be completed at one of the four Department of Finance Enrollment Centers.

Pay Online

The IDNYC website will guide you through submitting a replacement card application, scheduling your appointment at any IDNYC Enrollment site, and then making your payment online.

When you make a payment online for an application to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged card, 2 receipts will be sent to the email address you provided on the IDNYC website. One receipt will be from IDNYC and the other from the Department of Finance. Both receipts will have your application confirmation number.

You can pay online using a credit card, debit card, or an e-check. There is a processing fee for credit card payments

When you go to your appointment to complete the application process at an enrollment center, you should bring one of these receipts with you. This will make it easier for IDNYC staff to look up your application. You must bring your proof of identity and residency documents to your appointment.

Applicants ages 10 to 13 cannot submit payment for replacements online. They must submit their payment in person at a Department of Finance Enrollment Center.

Visit the IDNYC web site.

Pay in Person

To make a payment in person for your replacement card, you must schedule an appointment at one of the four Department of Finance Enrollment Centers. You can make your appointment online or 311 can schedule it for you. You must bring your proof of identity and residency documents to your appointment.

You can pay in-person by cash, money order, personal check, cashier's check, credit card or debit card. Checks and money orders should be made out to "New York City Department of Finance." There is a processing fee for credit card payments.

Corrections or Changes

To make a correction or change to your IDNYC card you must report your changes to IDNYC and make an appointment. There is no fee for corrections or changes. When card correction or change applications are accepted again, you can make your appointment online or 311 can schedule it for you.


  • You must bring the required proof of identification and residency to your appointment.
  • If you are updating your name, you must also bring one of the appropriate name-change documents.
  • You must bring your current IDNYC card to your appointment in order to change information on your card.

You must also notify IDNYC of your changes before you go to your appointment. 311 can take your information or you can use IDNYC's Contact Us page. You will need to provide your name and your IDNYC ID Number. Your 14 digit ID Number is on the front of your card. You will also need to provide the information that has changed.

Updating Your Name

If you are updating your name on your IDNYC card, you must bring your outdated IDNYC card along with one of the following documents proving your legal name change:

  • A Marriage Certificate
  • A Court Order establishing a name change, which includes an Order of Divorce, a Certificate of Adoption, or a Name Change Court Order

Organ Donor Designation

When card correction or change applications are accepted again, to remove the “Organ Donor” designation printed on your card, you must fill out an application for a change of information on your card, and make an appointment at an enrollment center where you will complete the replacement process. You can make the appointment on the IDNYC website, or 311 can make it for you.

You can fill out the application online or at the enrollment center. You must bring your current IDNYC card to the appointment. If you do not have your card, you will need to apply for a replacement for a lost or stolen card.

Removing the “Organ Donor” designation from your IDNYC card does NOT remove you from the New York State Donate Life Registry.

Remove Name from NYS Donate Life Registry List

You can remove your name from the registry list by filling out the removal form and sending it by email or by mail.

Download the New York State Donate Life Registry Removal form.

You can also make your request by phone.


Email the completed form to

By Mail

Send the completed form to:

New York State Donate Life Registry
185 Jordan Road
Troy, NY 12180

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Organ and Tissue Donor Registry
  • Phone Number: (866) 693-6667
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

As of January 15, 2019, when applying for your IDNYC card, you may choose whichever gender option is most comfortable and accurate for you. You do not need to submit any “proof” of your gender identity. You may choose to not designate your gender, leaving this field blank. You may also choose the option “X” to designate a gender that is neither male nor female.

There is no charge for IDNYC cardholders who want to change the gender marker on their current card. An appointment is needed to apply for an updated card.

U.S. Veterans can have “Veteran” printed on the front of the IDNYC card. To apply, you will need an original or certified copy of one of the following:

  • DD 214 - A Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty indicating an Honorable Discharge
  • DD 2 (Retired) - US Uniformed Services Identification Card (Retired)
  • Veterans Health Identification Card (VIC/VHIC)
  • NGB-22 - National Guard discharge document
  • NYS DMV Driver License or Non-Driver ID with veteran marker on it
  • Letter from the Mayor's Office of Veterans' Affairs confirming military service

If you are a U.S. veteran and want to add the Veteran Designation to the card, but do not possess a proof of veteran status document, the Department of Veterans' Services can help you get proof of service.


Visit the Department of Veterans' Services page.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

New IDNYC cards will have raised text in braille on the front of the card. This will help IDNYC cardholders who are blind or have low vision and read Braille to identify and utilize the card.

Cards without “IDNYC” embossed in Braille may be replaced with a new card at no cost.

When card correction or change applications are accepted again, visit any Enrollment Center to process a replacement.

Find an IDNYC enrollment center.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No