New York State (NYS) requires employers to screen employees for COVID-19 symptoms before the employee can enter the workplace each day and maintain documentation of health screenings.
Screening requirements may change. You can check the Health Department's COVID-19 page for updates.
Check the Health Department's COVID-19 page.
The COVID-19 Symptom Screening Tool is a sample screening tool for most workplaces. Some workplaces, such as health care or long-term care facilities, may have different screening requirements.
You can use this sample tool in the way that makes sense for your workplace.
Ideas for screening include:
- Calling employees each workday before they leave home to ask screening questions.
- Using an automated phone line that allows employees to indicate “Yes” or “No” and monitor the line to ensure compliance.
- Creating an auto-generated email or survey that enables a response.
- Designating a screening area and distributing the screening questions on paper to employees when they arrive for work but before they enter the worksite. If written forms are used, they should not identify the employee by name.
- Listing screening questions at the workplace entry on a bulletin board and asking employees to review before they enter the worksite.
Download a sample screening tool.